Almost every weekend, some festival or fair or annual celebration takes place in Detroit. Here are some of the best and most eclectic, fun ones:
- Sidewalk Festival of Performing Arts. Eclectic, offbeat and varied performers in allies, sidewalks and other outdoor venues in Brightmoor and Old Redford. Aug. 1.
- Detroit International Jazz Festival. Free jazz and blues, Labor Day Weekend. Downtown Detroit.
- Funky Ferndale Art Fair. More offbeat and more variety of artists, this late September event is produced and owned by Mark, my sweetheart.
- Marche du Nain Rouge. This Mardi Gras – like parade in late March is filled with handmade floats and weirdly attired individuals, some of whom are drunk at 10 a.m. Join the parade or watch it, and plan something else later in the day since this still peters out early.
- Palmer Park Art Fair. Also owned by my sweetheart, this May fair springs up around a small pond in a beautiful park.
Note: I will add more to this list in coming weeks. If you want to see other arts and cultural recommendations, check out my DetroitKind blog.